Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Ella Enchanted: by Gail Carson Levine

This is a fun Cinderella story with a spunky main character. It's not too 'Fairy-tale Princess'-y, but rather has a more humorous take on the fairy tale world. However, the humor is not like it was in the movie - which had a very different feel than the book.

Levine has a very amusing way of retelling fairy tales and has created her own unique world, or atmosphere for the land in which they take place. Her shorter stories, including The Fairy's Mistake, Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep, The Pincess Test, and Cinderellis and the Glass Hill would be a great introduction to her writing. The reading level is probably mid-upper elementary

2 comments:

Marcy said...

The twist on the well-known fairy tale (and I don't think this is a spoiler, I think you find out pretty early) is that Ella is "blessed" (er, um, cursed) by a fairy into being obedient. That is, she *has* to obey. Everyone. It very handily explains quite a bit about the fairy tale.

I suppose anyone who saw the movie would know that, but I didn't.

Um, Andrea, how do I become a contributer? Do you need to, um, sign me up or something...?

Marcy said...

Oh, you already invited me. My bad.